This home has many stories to tell! Fields of Grace Manor’s story began in circa 1910. Today George and Crystal Bowers are the proud owners of Fields of Grace Manor since 2001. George’s grandfather he called Dadad and grandmother were the original owners in the Bowers family. E. G. Bowers Sr. (Dadad) (1875 – 1971) & Nancy Gravely Bowers (grandmother) (1886 – 1942) moved here from Oconee County in the early 1900’s. They took pride in their small wood frame home, new farm and large family. Hard work has always been a part of the Bowers family creed. E. G. Bowers Sr. owned over 100 acres that adjoined the home that reached as far as Lake Keowee. He had the typical farm with chickens, pigs, and such. He also owned the only roof shingle mill in the area, which is now resting under Lake Keowee in what was called little Keowee river. There were 10 brothers and sisters that grew up in this old house they called home. E. G. Bowers and Nancy had a full house with 6 girls and 4 boys.
Billy G. Bowers (1926 – 2018) George’s father was one of the sons of E.G. Bowers. Served in WWII. Bill grew up in the home and retired as the Six Mile Town mail carrier.
Three of the boys E.Gordon Bowers Jr., Bill G. Bowers, and John S. Bowers, served in WWII and each had a story to tell.
E. Gordon Bowers Jr., (1921-1997) served in WWII and married Kathleen (Kitty) McCall. Uncle Gordon and Aunt Kitty owned Fields of Grace Manor as their home for their family in the early 1970’s. In 1971 the home was moved, renovated and put on the basement where it sits today. They added square footage and the brick exterior. Uncle Gordon and Aunt Kitty raised 3 children here. Betty, Burt, and Bob and their families knew this house to be their home for many years until just after year 2000.
John S. Bowers (1919 - 1999) served in WWII and married Paige Hunter who was Valedictorian of her graduating class.
Sarah Elizabeth Bowers (1906-1992) worked for the Dept. of the Army. She married Richard Franklin Gant.
William J. C. Bowers (1914 – 1981) was a teacher at the Old Horse Pasture School in the mountains of Pickens County.
C. Louella Bowers (1908-1997) worked at Blue Ridge Electric in Pickens, SC and was married to the First Mayor of Pickens, Benjamin B. Laboone.
M. Alice Bowers (1909 - 2001) worked at the auditor’s office in Greenville, SC. She married Louie E. Whitmire they owned various businesses in Easley, Drycleaners, restaurant, and barber shop.
A. Pearle Bowers (1912 - 1998) taught at Holly Springs School but also made the fire to warm the school and she cooked food at home and brought for the children at school. She secretly married James Harrison Alexander who was in the Air Force in Galveston TX. At the end of the school year she joined him in TX.
H. Nora Bowers (1916 - 2006) Took a year after High School to take care of her mother Nancy Bowers who was in poor health. Later she got a scholarship to Spartanburg Methodist College. She taught elementary school. She met Francis Ira Ashley at Spartanburg Methodist College and they were soon married.
Mildred E. Bowers (1923 – current) worked as a stenographer in the Dept. of Public Welfare. She married Calvin Matthew Thomas. There are so many stories and more to come soon!